Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Elsie!

I am such a bad mommy for not posting about Elsie's birthday sooner but better late than never right?

Elsie turned the BIG 1 this past Saturday and had a great birthday party with family on Sunday, complete with her very first cupcake with frosting and loads of presents. I really can't believe that she is one years old and it was only a year ago that we met for the first time. You know that saying, "A day feels like a week and a week feels like a day." That is so true about being a mom. There are days where I think, "Holy cow, time has stopped." But than when I think back on this year with a new baby, two moves, Ty starting school, Ty starting a new project and the uncertainty of our future, I think, "Holy cow, make time stop!"

I don't think we could have asked for a more perfect little girl. She is so happy and so willing to flash her award winning smile around. She loves to clap and to watch birds, dogs and cats.

When I take her on my walks with Marley, she squeals whens she sees Marley try to chase after cat or when a flock of birds take off as we approach. I swear I have heard her say, "Dog" and "awesome" a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if either one of those are her first words with how often she hears them from me.

She is quite the little crawler and loves to stand up and walking along the furniture. But has zero interest in walking alone or even standing by herself. She loves when we sing to her, especially when her Dad plays his guitar for her. She is spellbound.

She has learned to tolerate the pool. It takes a little while for her to get used to it but she is becoming a little more brave with each visit. She usually clings to my and digs her nails into my shoulders in fear that I will make her float around in the water.

She hardly ever cries except when she is teething, sick or really tired. There are days when all she does is talk and laugh and those are such great days to be a her mommy. Even when she is sick, I love knowing that she just wants to cuddle with me and rest her head on my chest and just chill. I know that is all better when that is the last thing she wants to do with me.


Her birthday was a blast. I had been waiting for her first birthday to give her her very first taste of sugar like frosting and cake. When we started singing Happy Birthday to her, I started getting choked up. My little Elsie is 1! That is just crazy to me sometimes. I knew she was going to love every minute of that cake and once she realized that the frosting goes in her mouth, there was no turning back.

She was very dainty about eating it and yet still made just enough mess to make it fun to watch her. When we started opening presents she was a natural. She knew exactly how to rip that paper off and after we got through the "boring" presents like all the homemade dresses and clothes she got from me and her Grandma Manning, she loved her new toys.

Happy Birthday Elsie Pie, Elsie Bird, Elinor Claire, and Baby!!

7 comments:

Delia D'Nell said...

Elsie is so dang cute I can't even stand it! I can't believe she is one...how time flies.

Anonymous said...

Great report and photos from day one to year one - - You captured it all perfectly!! We love her sooooo much!!!! MOM

RatalieNose said...

I see what you mean about her award winning smile!! Love it!!
Jilly you're such a great mommy!!

Unknown said...

Fun to watch. Aren't they the best?

Beka said...

so adorable- look at that smile with her first cupcake! so sweet! she really does have the cutest smile around!

Jandi said...

Happy Birthday Elsie! She's so beautiful! It's amazing how the time flies with kids!

Ju said...

Wow, can't believe it's already been a year! Happy Birthday Elsie. She is such a doll!!