Monday, June 23, 2008

We Had A Breakthrough!!!


So, I was at home today just flipping through the channels while eating my Cheerios and and I stumbled upon, The Baby Story. Normally, I would continue flipping the channels and avoid TLC for the next half hour because for anyone who knows me, The Baby Story=Birth Control. I would leave the room in college when my roommates would watch it because it was just too much for me to handle. A few months ago, I gave it another chance and again, I had to turn the channel...just too much! But today I decided I needed to give it another try considering there will be no flipping of the channels in four weeks when it is my turn. But guess what? Instead of fighting the urge to throw up...I was actually crying! I mean real tears!! I was shocked, I was actually happy for the mom and loved that she got to hold her little babies (yes, she had triplets)! I'm stunned, I'm mystified, I actually don't feel like a horrible person because the whole birthing process freaks me out so bad! I am conquering a fear!!! I'm feeling prepared! Granted, she was having a C-Section and not a vaginal birth, but we will take what we can get right? And considering that Elsie is breech right now and a C-Section is looking more likely than anything else, I feel very good that I could handle watching it on t.v.
The update on baby Elsie and her mommy...Elsie is breech and has been for probably the whole term. My doctor gave me my options at the last appointment and said that at 37 weeks (this Friday) they could try a EC Version and see if they can't move the baby. They try to move the baby from the outside and I hear it is quite painful and it only has a 50-65% chance of actually working. There is a risk of pre-term labor and the babies heart rate of dropping, meaning an emergency c-section. Or, I can wait until week 39 and have a c-section than to get her out. This is of course if she doesn't move on her own, which I am praying really really hard she will do! Any extra prayers will be accepted! I really would like to have a vaginal birth for my first baby (gasp...choke, can you believe those words just came out of my mouth), with the help of an epidural of course. And with a possible move to CA or back to the Valley in the near future (possible the beginning of Aug), I can't afford a 6 week recovery period. But it is good to know that whatever happens, she will be coming out and she will be healthy! But that is our latest update! I have an appointment this Wed and I have lots of questions for the doc! But I think I will opt out of the EC Version, it doesn't seem worth it to me and I would like two more weeks to prepare to bring a baby home if at all possible.
Oh, and it is like 114 degrees here...let's just say I don't leave the house anymore and I take about 3 showers a day...this baby is doing a great job keeping me insulated against the elements, even when I don't want to be (meaning the A/C, I sometimes can't even tell it is on until I stand right under a vent)! The pregnancy glow sure does look a lot like sweat if you ask me!!!

10 comments:

Laurel said...

sweet jill...so happy for you. YOu're in my prayers, my dear. Can't wait to see the new lil pun'kin!

Alison said...

You are too funny (re: the pregnancy glow). What a tolerant dog you have... to sit in a baby carrier like that!

We are hoping for a move back to the valley for the Mannings. When will you know?

Dawnelle Anderson said...

Jill, Carley (my 2nd) was breech up until the end. My doctor had a decent turn rate so I decided to try it, because I didn't want a c-section. I figured if I had to have a c-section I might as well try the turning before having it They gave me an epidural and then the doctor pushed on my stomach (it looked like some morphed alien) and he made her turn. I was so grateful. They then gave me pitosin and she was born 5 hours later. She was perfectly fine and we had no other complications.
Pray hard, I will be praying for you. Talk to the Elsie and tell her you want her to move (sounds corny, but it made me feel better). And the power of priesthood blessings. If you need any other advice or info email me. Good luck

Becca said...

just wandering around reading various blogs so forgive the comments of a total stranger :-D

I had a ECV with my 3rd child who was determined to stay breech until she turned on her own at 39wks. (she was 12lbs at birth 10days after she turned from frank breech to vertex btw!)

Anyway we tried the ECV at 36wks and some change. Turned her head down and she just kept going until she was head up again. Lil stinker :-D I found the ECV to be only mildly uncomfortable. Remember try not to hold your breathe or "brace" yourself. Take deep slow breaths and concentrate on relaxing every muscle in your body. They will probably offer you brethine/terbulaline to relax your uterine muscles and try to prevent an contractions (I did not use any drugs during the ECV, and had about an hours worth of mild braxton hicks type contractions)

Best of luck

Becca said...

Oh and I forgot. Some Doctors have better success rates for ECV than what you quoted. for instance my Midwives have a 90% success rate for ECV. You might want to talk to your Dr. about the possibility of another physician with good success trying the ECV

Ju said...

I hope she get's into position for you!! I will keep you and little Elsie in my prayers.
I'm glad that the baby story made you cry, makes me feel better... i would cry like a little baby everytime I saw that show. :o) I can't believe you only have 4 weeks left???? craziness

Anonymous said...

Your mom and dad are pulling and pushing for you........er, I mean praying and thinking about you. And we'll do some cosmic communication with little Elsie, if such a thing could work. We'll be anxious to get the word on how you feel after the EC. MOM

The Blakes said...

We'll keep you in our prayers. Any way you look at it, you're about to have a baby!!! Woo Hoo!

Beka said...

Jill, i just heard the good news! i'm so excited!! i hope you can find a place in the ward, and i was wondering if maybe Ty would like to request his church calling back:)!! i would much appreciate it. Cant wait to see you guys and little Elsie!!

Susan said...

My first was breech the entire time and they tried to turn him and couldn't so I had a c-section. It wasn't bad in fact I loved it. no hard work, hardly any pain and I was recovered and walking my 2 miles a day in about 3 weeks!! The turning killed me but I had no epidural so if they are going to try turning I recommend getting one!!!