What a whirl wind month we have had here in the Manning Family. I have been so bad about blogging because for a while there, nothing new was going on. I didn't know what to blog about because life was pretty much all the same things. But then, Ty got the call from Wal-Mart that they wanted to interview him for a position they had available at their corporate head quarters in Bentonville, AR (pretty much Ty's dream job) and within a months time, we went on an amazing trip to Holland with my family, packed up our condo in Mesa and moved out to northwest Arkansas. Life for sure picked up and then I didn't have time to blog about it. But then again, I didn't know what to blog about because I wasn't sure how I was feeling about the move.
On one hand, this job opportunity couldn't have come at a more crucial time. We always knew the Lord was taking care of us and that everything was going to work out just fine in the end, especially since we were trying to live our lives that He would have wanted us to. When Ty got laid off a year ago, it was scary but we had always put money aside in a savings account and knew that we could live off of that for a few months. We changed out budget and lifestyle. And then one of our dear friends offered Ty a job with his company as an office manager. We thanked Heavenly Father every night for bringing the Picketts into our lives and for Danny offering Ty that job. That job and our savings kept our heads above water for a long time. Ty was finishing up school at ASU and getting his MBA. Part of the reason that Ty went back to school was because the leaders of our church encouraged the men to get as much education as possible. Ty always wanted to go back to graduate school but he felt that it was what God wanted him to do as well. So back to school he went. He struggled. I was a single mom for most of those two years. We relied on each other and God throughout it all. But when Ty finally graduated, the job offers weren't coming as quickly as we were imagining. I knew that our savings were getting low and that we were going to have to end our medical insurance in order to make ends meet. Ty never told me so at the time, he never wanted me to worry. But here is the amazing thing. Here is the reason that I know that God was mindful of us and our needs and our situation. After this month, our savings runs out. This job with Wal-mart wasn't just a job that Ty wanted, it was a job that we needed. God knew what He was doing. I'm not all that surprised about it either. This is exactly how He does things. He tests us. He stretches us. He asks us to take a step into the darkness so that He can be there to take us by the hand and lead us to light and safety. And then it starts all over again and hopefully the next time we will be more willing to take that step into the unknown because we know from experience that He will be there waiting for us. And when we do what He asks of us, He will bless us! It may not be immediate blessings (my goodness, I would have loved it if this job offer came 10 months ago) but there will be blessings. I know this. I am living proof of it.
But moving isn't easy and I was going to have to say goodbye to some amazing friends. I couldn't have done this last year without the friends I had in Mesa. I know it sounds dramatic but that's the truth. Even now, its really hard to imagine that these girls aren't going to be a part of daily life. My patriarticle blessing says that there are people that I will associate with in this life that I knew in the pre-mortal life. For the sake of sounding very Saturday Warrior-ish, I am so glad that we found each other. If I had Maren's way with words this would all be way more eloquent and poetic but I hope you get the idea.
With all that being said (and if you are still reading, Bravo! and thank you for sticking with me), Arkansas has been a very nice surprise! We are smack dab in the middle of fall and I am in love! The leaves are changing and I have forgotten how much I love autumn. The reds, golds, greens and browns. Add that to all the old rustic barns and its just unreal. Bentonville is small but very nice. I do have to do all my shopping at Wal-Mart because there aren't any other options but these are the nicest Wal-Marts I have ever been too. They better be since the one I go to is right across the street from the home office. Talk about pressure.
And here is a picture of our new home:
I love that we are in a cul-de-sac and there are tons of kids that play here everyday. Its really fun to watch them play night games and hide in each of our yards. They are a lot older than Elsie but they have been really sweet with her and I don't think she minds that they pay attention to her but then let her do her own thing and just observe from the side. Marley loves the backyard and I love that Elsie and her can go out there while I cook dinner and I don't have to worry. Okay, so I do (have you seen the size of the spiders out here?) but you know what I mean. I'll post more pics of our house once I feel like it is presentable. We are still in boxes and we haven't put up any of our pictures. But we are getting there.
Funny story though. Our first night in the house I was a little scared. You know how it is, new place, new sounds. Well, most of Elsie's life has been spent sharing a room with us. That happens when you are in one bedroom condo. I couldn't wait to get out of that condo so that we both could have our own rooms. But that first night, I had the worst separation anxiety. I hated that she was so far away from me. I was not anticipating that at all. Ty just laughed at me and I pretty much clutched that baby monitor all night. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night. But I'm glad to report that I am doing much better and Elsie wasn't fazed by it one bit.
If you have read through all that, thank you so much! I needed to get much of that off my chest so it was written more for me than anything else. I'll be sure to be much better at blogging and sharing all of our Arkansas Adventures with you all. Or should I say, "y'all?" If I get a southern accent, shoot me!
Friday, October 22, 2010
Adventures in Arkansas!
Posted by
Jill Manning
at
11:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






12 comments:
Wow! That is all so exciting. Isn't it funny how you think you are totally up to date on a person's life through their blog but people never blog about the hard times. I'm so glad you did in this post and that Ty found his dream job. I have great fears that we will be starting the year of unemployment as Michael is done with his MBA in 2 weeks. yikes! Can't wait for Ark stories
You have the best attitude about pretty much everything! One of the many reasons I love you. I'm still sad you're not here but so excited for your Arkansas adventure. And what a cute house!
Wow, what an experience! Glad things are working out for you guys. Love the cute little house and can't wait for more pictures! Some spiders are so big out here that they eat fish... seriously. Welcome to the south!
I read your whooooole blog even though I already know the whole saga of the past many months, even years because...............I'm your mother........ and have prayed and fasted more times than you can count (but then I know you know). We are so relieved for you and Ty. New friends will come in due time, but you truly were blessed with some phenomenal girlfriends in Mesa. Thanks to all of you for blessing our "Jilly Beans" with your love and friendship.
MOM
So glad things are going well for you. Everytime I read experiences like these I am reassured that heavenly father has a plan for me too, thankyou for sharing your experience, and I am so glad you are enjoying Arkansas. Can't wait for future blogs!! Enjoy unpacking and decorating!
I loved reading this post Jill:)!! You are such a great example to me of such strong faith & good attitude towards everything you encounter (yuma, arkansas, etc.:)) I'm so glad you found the perfect house after all and its in a culdesac w lots of kids around to play outside---how perfect is that? But i still miss ya! cant wait to see pics of the inside of your house:)
Congrats Jill!! I've been wondering how you've been. Moving is so hard. I always used to think that I thrived on change, but man, moving is not something I'm super good at anymore. I'm so happy for you guys though! Your house is beautiful and the people there are going to LOVE you if they don't already. I must say that I'm jealous you get to shop at such a nice wal*mart. They are such gems when you find them! :) Miss you roomie!!
Love it Jill! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us over the last year. You are amazing and I know you will make the best friends in Arkansas in notime. Arkansas is lucky to have you guys. Your house is so cute and I am sure already full of cute decor. Good luck with the settling in. And I would love to hear you with a southern accent, I love 'em!
i had NO idea! Congratulations!
How fun for you to start this next phase of life.
And how nice of Heavenly Father to move you to Arkansas in the fall so you could fall in love with it before summer (grin).
xoxo
Good Luck on your new adventure! I love your new house!
You guys deserve all the blessings that came your way. Enjoy the house! I hope to read lots more of your Arkansas adventures!
Am I bad that I don't want you to find replacements for us? I want you have friends in Arkansas, but I don't want to hear about Sue Ellen and her hilarious ways and that she's my Arkansas doppleganger. I hope I always have a small selfish place in your heart.
Every time we don't meet to sew or there is no turn out, Jason says things like, "I've seen the beginning and the end of sewing night." "Your group just can't function without Jill" "It's sad to see the end of an era, because Jill moved" - I know he's kidding but it makes me want to cry. You are such a HUGE part of this group. Thank heavens for the internet.
p.s. I don't think I could have written the above passage any better (but thanks for thinking I can, that's how i know you are a true friend) - my brain HAS turned to mush this pregnancy. It might never go back. I might remain mediocre and then I will really enjoy the weird conversations with Joann's cutting counter girls, or checkers at Wal-mart. I might think these people are normal and seek their strange TMI stories?
I love you JIlly.
Post a Comment