Wednesday, October 29, 2008

An American Original!


I just got finished reading this biography on Walt Disney and I can't get over how wonderful it was. I finished with a whole new appreciation for Walt Disney and his vision for Disneyland and the beloved cartoons and films that I already adore! If you are looking for a good book and one that is inspiring, than I recommend this one. Here is a tribute that was written about Walt after he passed away that was in the book. The writer did a good job putting into the words all the feelings I felt the first time I went to Disneyland but didn't have the words for:
"...He was an original, not just an American original, but an original, period. He was a happy accident; one the happiest this century has experienced; and judging by the way it's been behaving in spite of all Disney tried to tell it about laughter, love, children, puppies and sunrises, the century hardly deserved him.
He probably did more to heal or at least to soothe troubled human spirits than all the psychiatrists in the world. There can't be many adults in the allegedly civilized parts of the globe who did not inhabit Disney's mind and imagination at least for a few hours and feel better for the visitation.
...But what Walt Disney seemed to know was that while there is very little grown-up in a child, there is a lot of child in every grown-up. To a child this weary world is brand new, gift wrapped; Disney tried to keep it that way for adults...
By the conventional wisdom, mighty mice, flying elephants, Snow White and Happy, Grumpy, Sneezy and Dopey--all these were fantasy, escapism from reality. It's a question of whether they are any less real, any more fantastic than intercontinental missiles, poisoned air, defoliated forests, and scraps from the moon. This is the age of fantasy, however you look at it, but Disney's fantasy wasn't lethal. People are saying we'll never see his like again."

2 comments:

Marilee said...

Amen. Disney was a great man. This is why I go at least three times a year. There is something renewing about that place. And hi Jill I have been following your blog for a while just now got brave enough to comment. Love ya,

wandering nana said...

I love Walt Disney. I am headed to Disneyland tomorrow.( whoo hoo) I always stand in front of his statue with Mickey and read the plaque underneath. I am meeting my youngest and her family there but the Mr and I go for us (oh my, am I being selfish?) Thanks for telling about the book, I will definitely find it.