So, Ty has been teasing me that last few days about my graduation present because a while ago he was telling me that he is thinking of getting me my own sewing machine for graduation but than the other day he said, "So I have two ideas for a graduation present but I am not sure if I should tell you what they are." I hate when he does this. So I respond with, "Well I already know that you mentioned a sewing machine, what's the second thing?" He would spill, and I mean he was really strong about not telling, usually I can get him to crack but not this time. I was trying to get hints and clues and all he would say was, "You have been wanting it for a long time but have not talked about it in a while." I said, "Rowing lessons!" "Nope." I really hate this game. So needless to say, all of yesterday and today I have been trying to figure out what he had up his sleeve, well he just told me and I couldn't be more excited and giddy...it is Rowing Lessons!
Now you may be asking yourself, Why Rowing/Crewing/Skulling? It all started with the movie, "The Skulls" (ladies you know what I'm talking about). It wasn't just the cute boys in the movie that attracted me to it but it was the crewing (I promise it wasn't just the boys). It looked so cool and so foreign, this was certainly not a sport that is big in Denver, CO. Than when I went on my mission to Philadelphia, this little love affair with crewing grew stronger.
In Center City, behind the famous Rocky steps and art museum is the Schuylkill River and Boat House Row. All the Ivy League schools in the area have a boat house that houses the crew boats, training facilities, the teams and managers. The houses are above and they are the most beautiful unique little cottage style houses. This place quickly became my most favorite spot in Philly. While I was serving in the area, my companion and I met a guy from the singles ward who was the house manager for the Vesper boat house. He took us to the house and gave us a tour of the facility. We saw the training room and met some of the team members who were training for the Olympics and saw old pictures of famous crewers from the past. Than he took us to the holding garage for the different types of boats and oars, it was amazing. Than we got to go on the boat dock and that is when I fell in love with rowing! There on the dock was a view of Philly that few people have ever been able to see. Behind us on that dock was the river, the back of the art museum and the Philly Skyline, it was so peaceful and so beautiful!
As were asking the guy questions and talking to him, I mentioned how I have always wanted to take lessons and become a world renown rower. I thought he was just going to laugh at me but instead he said, "Well, actually you have the rowers body." (I know a little weird to say to a sister missionary) but he went on to say, "Female rowers are long and lean like you because the boat is only so wide and to get a good stride with the oars you need long arms." Well that was just fuel for the fire and ever since than I have been drooling over the idea of being a rower! I know that I will never be a good basketball player or volleyball player, but now I have another opportunity to put my height to good use so that those people who ask if I play basketball or volleyball can find out that I row instead (which is so much cooler in my mind). Now is my chance and I couldn't be more excited!
Less than 10 minutes from our place is the Tempe Town Lake and there they have Rowing Lessons for nay level of difficulty. I researched this when we first moved to AZ and was so excited when I found out that they have classes and club but got very discouraged when I found out the cost! It is not a cheap hobby...none the less, Ty did not forget my intense infatuation with crewing and remembered just in time for my graduation! Getting these lessons make all 7 years of school worth it (I know, I know, 7 years? "Alot of people go to college for seven years" "I know, they're called doctors"). It makes all the crap I have had to put up with at ASU so worth it and all the rules at BYUI a piece of cake! Thank you Ty, Thank you so much for making this possible! Look out world, here comes the next big rowing sensation!
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
I don't know where to begin...
Posted by
Jill Manning
at
4:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






6 comments:
Rowing? Who knew? I'm so excited for you though, I'm all for realizing dreams - no matter how random they are or how old you become. You've given me some inspiration. We should make a list of random aspirations we have had or still have. I can think of 10 already!
CONGRATULATIONS on graduating, who cares how long it took! And congrats on having such a great hubby who remembered something important to you...something like rowing!
(Sorry for the novel.)
mmmm...now that is a list worth thinking about, when my mind isn't occupied with papers and assignments (that will be on Thurs) I will start on that, along with the new Harry Potter book! Can't wait!
Jill, I had no idea you had this passion! How fun. I'm so glad it makes you sooo happy too. In college, my roommate was a competitive rower from New York. But...she was quite short and freakishly strong!!! Way to go on graduation on Thursday!
Congratulations! I'm so excited for you. I have a friend who was on a rowing team and they practiced at Tempe Town Lake and he loved it! They went all over the country competing. So who knows? You may just become that world renowned rower! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Congrats on graduating!
Wow!!! What a unique graduation gift - way to go Tyrone!!! So when do you start the rowing experience of a life time? How many classes? Will you really compete? - Just imagine, our "Jilly Beans" oaring her way through life.
congrats on the gift and on the graduation. when do you officially graduate? are you walking? when do you start rowing? i love the idea of rowing so you'll have to tell us how it is. :)
Post a Comment