Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Remember Amelia Bedelia?


Does anyone ever remember reading the books, Amelia Bedelia? She is the character that if you say, "Go pitch a tent," she would literally throw the tent as if she was pitching the tent at a baseball game. Well, sometimes I feel like Amelia when I cook. For example, a few years ago I was brownies to give to some guy (I swear this was the first and last time I baked anything for a guy)and for good reason too...I forgot to add the eggs. That was a tad embarrassing, but come on we have all forgotten ingredients at some point in our lives right? Well, I wish my ditzyness in the kitchen ended there. When Ty and I were first married, I was using a recipe that asked for one clove of garlic. For me, I have never used fresh garlic before, I only remember seeing the Costco size minced garlic jar in my house growing up so I never caught on the idea of fresh garlic. So, I thought a clove of garlic was the WHOLE bulb of garlic and so I started chopping away and mincing my little heart out thinking I was being so smart and so domesticated. That is until Ty walked into the house and yelled, "Oh garlic!" That is when I figured a clove of garlic does not mean the whole entire thing. Needless to say, our house spelled nice and garlic-y for a really loooooong time! Than the other day I was cooking this new recipe that asked for a half a cup of chopped onions. Well, there is nothing I hate more than cutting onions and so I decided to resort to canned dehydrated onions from the Cannery. What I didn't know is that a half cup of chopped onions does not equal a half cup of dehydrated onions. Poor Ty, as soon as we took a bite of the rice mixture I knew, there was waaaaaay too much onion in there.
So the moral of the story...don't forget to add the eggs when baking, a clove of garlic is the slice, not the bulb and one cup of dehydrated onions is not the equivalent of an actual cup of chopped onions. I am glad that I discovered this last one now instead of when we are desperately needing to eat from our food storage and I messed up our ration of food for that day by adding too much onion! Whew, that could've been bad!

7 comments:

The Blakes said...

I always loved Amelia Bedilia! And I forgot the flower in my brownies just a few weeks ago. Trent just shook his head at me and rolled his eyes. I just can't promise it won't ever happen again!

Christie said...

I've always had a hard time with the garlic too. When it says one clove I always panic a bit because I'm not sure what it is. In fact I'll usually resort to powdered garlic when a recipe calls for it because I am unsure...so thanks for clarifying that for me. I think we are all Amelia Bedelia's in some way...but at least we all look cute in our aprons, even if what we are cooking may be less than fabulous. :)

Kim said...

Oh friend I know one day you will be a world class chef! I am the same way with sweing right now I seem to have nothing go my way yet, but it will come and so shall your cooking expierence! I actually baked cookies for a boy one time and then he told me later there was a hair in a cookie, needless to say im kinda scarred of making cookies! But i know your bean dip is yummy and thats all that matters! See ya tomorrow!:)

Jill Manning said...

Whew, what a relief, I was waiting for scores of LOLs, hahahaha's, and people telling me I'm hopeless but it is such a relief to know that I am not alone, I'm not the only one who gets confused and forgetful! And yes Christie, even if the food sucks, in our fancy aprons we will always look so cute! Another reason to go crazy over aprons!

Anonymous said...

I remember one of my first meals I made for Dad, I just sat a cried afterwards - it was a sorry affair. We all go through it. However, the smell of garlic and onions doesn't go away anytime soon, especially in a small apartment - For you newbies in the kitchen, bring out the Glade spray, use the whole can and wear something sexy when "HE" walks through the door. That'll correct the mistake in a hurry!!!!

(I can't believe a mission president's wife just wrote that!)

Fun entertainment Jill - thanks for writing it.

Christie said...

Thanks Linda for the advice! Obviously the way to a man's heart is NOT through his stomach as long as we wear something sexy. :) I can't believe a mission president's wife wrote that either!! I love it!

Beka said...

i loved those books too, i think we have all had our own amelia bedelia moments!