Thursday, August 30, 2007

Join Me Won't You?


Ever since school got out and I haven't had to worry really about anything and I have really been enjoying my long vacation, but too much of a good thing isn't all that good because now I am going insane with boredom. I have applied for a temp agency for this last month in the valley but that still isn't going to solve the problem. And without a job, I won't be able to make all the aprons that I want to, which would greatly solve this boredom problem. Well, these last few nights, which sewing, I have been watching Oprah's 20th Anniversary Collection DVD. While I don't necessarily agree with everything she talks about on her show and she can quickly drive me nuts, I can't deny that she has done so much good with her fame and money! I can't believe that I could get so emotional just by watching some of her shows (come one, you know you have cried once or twice from watching her show). Well, after hearing about her Angel Network I became inspired; let me explain. The biggest part of her Angel Network is for the first year it was created, Oprah, her staff and her audience (over 10 million of them) collected their pennies and other small change for a year and than with the money that saved, 50 scholarships were created for high school seniors to use for college. In fact, so much money was donated that they had enough money to give 100 more scholarships for the next two years. I couldn't believe it, just by saving small change!

Well, now it is my turn and I invite anyone who wants to join me. Starting today, I am going to start saving my pennies and other small change for a year and half. While I don't have a master plan yet for all those pennies, I am keeping my ears and heart open for the perfect project. I think this can work, I fill like this is something that I can make happen! I used to safe all my change to feed the parking meter at school and to feed my Diet Coke addiction but I think this is a better cause to safe for. So if anyone wants to join me in this little endeavor I would love it, I would love to see what all our little pennies could add up to in just a year and half...and I am not just talking about dollar amounts. So there you have it, start saving those pennies! I am even going to head off to Joanns to create my own little piggy bank! I am giddy with excitement!

7 comments:

Angela said...

Good job jill. Ellen Degeneres did the same thing on her show with the lose change. We have a place in our have that we put all our change, so we will keep doing that.

Also, side note - you might want to check the spelling on a word in your last 2 sentences... I am sure you didn't mean to save, well go and look :-)

Jill Manning said...

Thanks for the edit, I certainly did not mean to write that...I feel a little sheepish! Actually when I came up with the idea I did think of your big container with all the pennies, I want something like yours.

The Blakes said...

I do have a piggy bank (actually a froggy bank) that is specifically set aside for quarters. Then I have a jar just for pennies. Trent and I have been collecting our loose change since we got married to help fund our mission. Sometimes it seems like a fruitless effort (we have less than $100), but it's still fun to do.

Anonymous said...

We have lots of extra change back home that Dad has been saving over many many years. Not sure what it's for, but I'm sure we can find good use for it. Maybe you kids will inherit it and give to whatever cause you want to give. I think of all the trivial things I would like to do when we get home is watch those Oprah DVDs. I love some of her great memorable shows and it would be so nice to veg out and watch them. Please save them for me okay?

Delia D'Nell said...

Jill...I am totally in. I have a fantastic Buddha bank...when that is full I need to find a cool clear bank or jar to keep money in...this will be fun!

Jill Manning said...

OH DNell, I knew I could count on you. I can't believe I have been so slow on the uptake on this whole safe-your-small-change idea. I am impressed everyone's plans for their pennies. Mom, I am actually borrowing Ty's aunt's dvds but I think I can get you a copy when you get home...consider it one of your welcome home gifts. And if you plan on traveling around as much as you are, you can watching them on the lap top as you go. It is perfect!

Christie said...

What a good idea. Often our change is annoying, laying everywhere. What a good use for it!