Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Oh what's in a name?

My friend DNell talked about nicknames on her blog and how we get them and if we like them. This got me thinking
about my nicknames and how much I love having nicknames and when people give them to me and to go along with having to name everything I own, I love to give people nicknames as well. Actually, I have never called Ty "baby," "sweetie," "dear." ect., only because I feel so cheesy doing it (I don' think that when I hear others say it to each other but I can't get myself to do it) BUT, I have given Ty some nicknames in place of those terms of endearment and that is how he knows I love him! I guess that is why I love having nicknames because it is a way that I know that people care about me!
Here are some of my favorites:

Jilly Beans
Jilly

Jillian-my mom would say, "You are one in a jillian" and it always made me feel so good!

Jibby-in high school there were two Jill's and she was Jiffy, this is how people would distinguish us.
Geo-long story, but let's just say that a nasty guy in college wanted to take me out for shrimp cocktails after getting me sent to the Dean of our school because he put my name on a police report...like I said very long story...but he had such a thick southern accent and couldn't say Jill, it came out Geo. My roommates loved it and it stuck. Ty calls me this more than anything!

Mama Huhu, my Chinese name. When I was in China, we all got to pick Chinese names and while Mama Huhu isn't really a name in Chinese (it means "so-so") it quickly became my most favorite Chinese word and I went with it! My Chinese students thought I was crazy...and I was!
For Ty:
Tyrone
Tyroneus Maximus

My Big Strong Man-again another long story but I was on a double blind date and went hiking and my date decided that I need help getting down from a boulder and threw me over his shoulder and carried me down. I was so mad at him for doing this and I couldn't keep the sass in any longer and I pounded three times on his chest and said, "Aw, what a big strong man!" For some reason Ty loves this story and now he has become my big strong man! He always asks after he helps me do something, "Am I your Big Strong Man?"
Typhoid-this is for when I want to be mad at him but I can't do it!
What are your nicknames? How did they come about? Do you give people nicknames? I think our kids are going to have more nicknames than they can keep track of...I just love nicknames!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a long dissertation on knick names and I included a long list of the knick names I have given our children, etc., but I noticed it didn't get recorded. I don't know what happened. I will do it again if it doesn't come up later today, but this is sure frustrating to have to rewrite it. MOM

Jill Manning said...

I hope you get the chance to re-write it mom, I would love to read what you have to say about nicknames and the ones you gave all of us! I'll be waiting for it!

Anonymous said...

Knicknames are so fun, but for some reason I only like to give out knicknames to our children and grandchildren. The in-laws and even Dad have not received knicknames from me (sorry everyone). I wonder that why that is? Could it be my brain can handle just so much memory? (However, I do like "Tyrone" for Ty). Anyways, I get this trait of knicknaming our children from my mother who also had knicknamed her children. I was "Linda Bindy"

Angela - "Angelilly Picadilly"
Jamie - "Jamicuns"
Dallas - "Big D"
Jill - "Jilly Beans" or "Jillian"
Hannah - "Hannah Banana"
Ella - "Ella Bella"
Walker - "Walk Docker Do"
Dallin - "Little D" (I just decided this one right now)
Elsie - not sure yet - I'll have to wait until I hold her and see what feels right. "Elsie May" feels good for now.

Dawnelle Anderson said...

Jibby, such memories. Between you, Emily, and Ashley I got the name dfunk. One of you also started calling me butt-crack, for waking up at the butt-crack of Dawn. Anyways, it is kind of funny to think of nicknames and sometimes you can't even remember who gave them to you, but you just keep getting called that.