So I just had to update because I feel like I can do this whole crying it out thing. I decided today was the day, I was going to let Elsie cry it out in her crib. I swaddled her up and laid her in her crib and she just started wailing!!! I closed the door, turned on the T.V. (it was 90210 re-runs) and turned it up pretty loud and than went in the kitchen and started doing the dishes. I even tried calling my sister, Jamie to get some moral support (sorry I missed you Jamie, you weren't home). I had to make a lot of background noise so that I couldn't focus on her crying. She cried like I have never heard her cry for 10 minutes and than I went in and got her. I held for a little bit just enough to sooth her and get her a little drowsy and than I laid her back down. She did good for about a minute and started at it again. I told myself I would go back in after 15 minutes. It only took 5 for her to fall asleep!!! VICTORY!!! I know I have a long road ahead of me with this whole process but I can do this. I'm not a bad mommy for letting her cry. This is for her own good. It will get easier!
Monday, September 8, 2008
Update!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






8 comments:
Okay her smile is sooo cute! I love when babies can start smiling, it makes those first 6-8 weeks worth it! :) she's a beauty. So sorry that I wasn't around when you called. But it sounds like you were definitely victorious! Keep up the good work. And NO! you're not a bad mom. :)
I never let MY kids cry themselves to sleep.
That is my technique too! 10 minutes of crying (because I could never handle more, I always believed that if they cried longer that I was torturing them...:o|) and if they are still at it, go and hug them and let them know I still love them but that it really is time for bed. I've never had to go in there more than once (until they got older and could climb out of bed :o) And no you are not a bad mom, just remember that crying is healthy for the baby, exercising her lungs, and she's just telling you how tired she is, she's not hurt, and she still loves you too. Good work you are awesome Jill!!
ya! I forgot this book i read, said to do just that! every 5-10min, you can go in there pat their tummies, or whatever so they know you are still there and then leave again.Its hard but worth it! My boys still cry at bedtime...and its hard still but its never killed them:)!! My problem came at church when i couldnt let them cry it out when they were tired and they wouldnt go to sleep with me holding them anymore b/c they had to do it on their own. i dont know if you can find a happy medium!
Oh the smile is a killer!! What a blessed age. Can't wait to see her smile to me soon - MOM
Wow, good for you! I couldn't do it until Jace was older but after we did, it was SO worth it! I thought...why didn't I do this sooner? This is a good reminder for my next one. Thank you for giving me that push that I know I'll need to do it again. It's so hard and breaks my heart but it really does work. For Jace, it took about 3 nights and then he could do it on his own. Never feel like your a bad mom. Do what you feel is best for your sweet baby... oh and your sanity...
Crying it out is good for you and her. I am impressed she only did it for 10 minutes and then another 5! Trinity was much more stubborn than that, I wish her crying it out was that short. It won't take many days. She is young and still very trainable. (sorry, best word I could find today for it)
You are not a bad mom you are a smart mom. Having a baby fall asleep by themselves is the best thing you can do for everyone's sanity, especially moms. It is hard to do at first though. I let Corbin cry it out when he was probably a week old. I don't believe it when people say a baby is too young, whatever. Corbin won't sleep at church either though and that is hard, but I figure 95% of the time it's great to have your baby trained to sleep in their crib alone.
Mitzi
Post a Comment