Friday, February 8, 2008

The 8th grade called...


...they want their pimples back! In my last post I mentioned how every few weeks I am meeting a new version of myself that is brought on because of the pregnancy. Well, since about week 8, I haven't had a new version of my myself appear but an older, hasn't-been-around-in-years version of myself come to visit. When I signed on for this whole pregnancy thing, I felt that I was pretty much emotionally prepared for the changes that would take place.
The morning sickness. I prepared myself for the worst and it turned out to be not that bad. I didn't like it and will be okay if I never experience it again, but others have had it worse than me, so I can live with it.
Gaining weight. Seeing that I have only gained one pound since I got pregnant, I feel that I am doing alright. Every morning when I go to put on my jeans, I have to give myself a pep talk that sounds something like this, "Today may be the day that your jeans don't fit and that is okay. You are expected to gain weight when you pregnant, you can do this." I don't like the idea of gaining weight but I guess if it is expected and normal, I might as well take advantage of it, seeing this is the only time that it is.
But here was the kicker...ACNE!!!! What the heck? No one told me that my 14 year old pubescent self was going to make an appearance. I had been cursed with horrible acne for a good portion of my teenage years. I had been on every kind of acne medication to at least contain the problem but nothing really helped until, Acutane! It was 6 months of hell but it worked. Any zit that was ever on my face or was ever going to be on my face, disappeared and never came back! That was the only reason that being on Acutane was worth it, I never had to deal with a zit again. I even blame the fact that my face can barely get color and if it does, it never holds a tan for more than day, on all the different acne meds I was one, but that was okay, at least I didn't have pimples...until now! Now I do have to say that I found Mary Kay foundation and it does a great job covering up all the ugliness but I know they are there, lurking just beyond the make-up. Did this happen to anyone else? Will my skin go back to normal after the baby comes? It may not be that big of deal, I just have to do a few things differently now that is all. Before, I rarely wore foundation and I never washed my face...there was no need, at least I thought so. Now I do...its just a lifestyle change I have to to get used to for a while. Along with eating every 4 hours before the ugly hunger monster appears and having to pee every hour of the day and night.

9 comments:

Ju said...

I would just like to say... ditto. My pregnancy "glow" was acne. It did seem to calm down a little once I was about 20 or so weeks along. So hopefully soon, you will start to see yourself again!! Have you felt baby kick yet? That will make all the weight gain almost forgettable :o) I have used both ProActive and AcneFree, which were both very helpful! I prefer AcneFree because it is cheaper! And, I'm sure your normal skin will appear again one day.

The Blakes said...

Have no fear, this too shall pass! Just one more thing to use as a guilt trip on the kid later on...tacked onto "I was in labor for 32 hours with you!"...

(only kidding)

Kim said...

Oh jill I get acne as a young at least you only get while pregnant! haha I am so happy to hear everything is going well! You need to come visit , I want to see that belly! Much love!

Stephanie said...

Jill! It has been so long, but I found your blog on Julie's links. I hope that is okay. I am so excited for you and Ty. You are so cute and I enjoy reading your stories. I want to hear all about your pregnancies and "new yous". I think you will be shopping blue! Keep in touch! Love, your old roomie Steph

Maren said...

Jill, sorry... I'm not sympathetic to the acne. I've always had it and always will. Wah! wah! wah! I hate the sickies! I do feel your pain there.

Laurel said...

Um, I can't really help you with "all this goes away after the baby comes" seeings how I've never "been there done that". BUT, listening to the sypmptoms, is it possible I was pregnant during my 20's? Like the ENTIRE 20's? (grin).
Just remember that even if the pimples, weight gain, morning sickness, etc., DIDN'T go away, you will be a MOM. Happy day for you.

And for the record, it was YOU who helped ME feel cool at that wedding reception. Let's meet in a kitchen again!

Love you!

The MacMizzles said...

There was one point in my life...getting my Master's that I thought I would die of Acne. I am sorry. I am sure you are still gorgeous.

Chicky said...

I've always had the hormonal acne issue, but on the upside, having somewhat oily skin has kept me from wrinkling too much!
Try not to do TOO much tho, or your skin may rebound from being too clean - use something gentle.

Isn't pregnancy fun?! ;)

Christie said...

I hear ya girl! The worst is when I leave for the day with a semi-clear face, but come up with a big ol' popper on my face. It's kind of like having a booger or eye-goopie that noone tells you about, except WAY more embarrassing.