
I have to blog about my experience at my doctors appointment yesterday. For those who know me, know that I am absolutely terrified of labor! I don't like thinking about it and I absolutely hate hearing about other women's labor horror stories. I don't know exactly where this fear comes from; maybe from watching one too many made-for-t.v.-movies about women dying from child birth, or from watching the Miracle of Life in the third grade! Whatever the reason, when I hear stories about it or watch anything that resembles it on t.v., I have been known to get light headed and one time the room actually began to spin and get darker. I have a vivid imagination and can easily psych myself out. Anyways, the only reason I haven't freaked myself out over my own pregnancy is that I am counting on having an epideral (sp?) waiting for me when I get to the hospital. I have no intentions to ever experiencing natural child birth and I am okay with that, I don't feel like I will have lived less of a life because of it. Well, the doctors I have met so far here in Yuma have not given me reason to feel comforted about the whole ordeal. The first doctor, well, I couldn't understand a single word he said! He is from Germany but has been practicing medicine in Yuma since '77 and yet, he has the worst accent ever! And among other reasons (too many to list, I don't want to bore you), he is the last person I want to be around me when I give birth. The second doctor, while I could understand him better, he didn't say more than 10 words to me the whole visit. I had to wait an hour in the exam room and than when he did come in, he didn't say hello or shake my hand or ask me how I was feeling or how the pregnancy was going. Come to think of it, the first guy didn't either. This doctor didn't even look at me in the face, I was not a human being to him, I was just another appointment that was making him fall behind on the things he needed to do that day! I was irate and afterwards, I started to become very concerned about how I was going to get through my labor and delivery if I didn't trust or like any of the doctors that I had met with. And than it happened, yesterday I had another appointment with a new doctor and he was GREAT! He only made me wait 5 min., walked in, shook my hand, looked me in the face and actually asked, "How is your pregnancy so far? Are you excited or nervous?" He actually looked at my chart and looked at my progress, he asked me if Ty and I had plans for Super Bowl Sunday and gave me suggestions of good restaurants to eat at for Valentine's Day. At the end of the appointment, he asked if I had any questions and I actually felt like I could ask him any of my questions and I did...and...he didn't laugh at me! He took me seriously and answered my question! I was smiling from ear to ear the whole time and I am sure I looked ridiculous but I just couldn't believe it, he treated me like I was human and that I was a human growing inside of me! I'm still freaked out about labor, but after yesterday, I am a little bit more relieved!
Friday, February 1, 2008
I could jump for joy!
Posted by
Jill Manning
at
11:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






6 comments:
I'm glad you have found a doctor you can trust. That is important.
The doctor (or midwife) and the nurses make the biggest difference!! I'm glad you found one you like! yea! I had an epidural with my first two, and they are a amazing!! Don't fear labor too much, it is a scary thought, but once you start into it, you'll just go with the flow... and then you'll have your epidural and you'll be smiling ear to ear again!
Like Julie said - once labor starts, there's nothing more you can do about it. Nature takes over and then an incredible little bundle makes its debut and you say, "wow, I did it, it wasn't that bad".....unless, of course, you talk to Addie or me (your mother). But, really, the doctor makes a huge difference in the experience. I loved my doctor in Chicago with Angela, but would never repeat the doctor with Jamie. I'm glad you found a "good one"!!
Oh Jill, I am so happy you found a good doctor! It is scary enough having a baby, but to have a doctor you don't trust makes it so much worse. I am so happy for you! I will miss you very much at Bunko from now on. I hope to get to see you soon!
That was funny Linda... I loved my doctor, hated the nurse...too bad the nurse was there 90% of the time. But then a wonderful thing happens...you're brain tucks all those bad memories away where you can never find them again, and then you do it all over again!
JILL! You have every right to want your experience to tailor your needs as a laboring childbearing mother. That is so fantastic that you found someone who supports those desires. You will be amazed how amazing motherhood is. CONGRATS on finding a good doc you trust.
Post a Comment