Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Creativity Inspiration!

I must start this post out by saying that I absolutely love working in the Young Women's program in my church. For those who don't know, the Young Womens is a program that we have for girls 12-18. We get together for activities every Wed. night for about an hour and teach Sunday School type lessons for an hour every Sunday. That is just a small jist of it. Anyways, right now I am the Mia Maids adviser and the Personal Progress leader (kind of like the Boys Scouts program but for girls and not so outdoorsy). I was really really scared to be in charge of Personal Progress at first but now I am having a hay day with it! This has been a great chance for me to be creative and act like a spaz in from of the girls the get them super excited and motivated to do their Personal Progress. I just wanted to share with you some of the things that I have done.
First, I wanted to reward the girls whenever they complete one of their ten hour projects. So here is what I came up with. This last Sunday I had a girl finish her project for Good Works and two others finish theirs for Knowledge. Each of the values as a designated color right? Well, I made little draw string baggies in the specific colors and loaded up the bags with all things green and yellow. Here is what I am talking about:



The draw string bags were really really simple...here is a tutorial on how to make them. It was hard to find green and yellow things but I really hope that one of the girls finishes the value with the color pink or red (oh, it is such a good thing that I am having a little girl, I wouldn't know what to do with a boy)!
Than this last Sunday, I had to teach a lesson on Eternal Marriages. I really didn't want to do this lesson, since every lesson that I have had to teach these girls has been on marriage in some way. But as soon as I figured out my hand out, I got super excited. I decided to focus on mirrors in the sealing room and how if you look at one, you can see forever because of the other one behind you. I tried to demonstrate it to the girls by bringing two mirrors but my mirrors were not big enough and it didn't work out (I was really bummed out about it). But I made the girls cute little mirrors that they can hang on their walls so that every time they look in them, they can ask themselves if they being the kind of woman who they need to be in to enter the temple to be sealed for time and all eternity with their future husband. Even though the mirror object lesson flopped, the reaction I got with the mirror handout made up for it!


I'm not going to lie, I was really hoping that not all the girls would show up so that I could keep one of the mirrors, but they all did (which is a good thing, I know)! I just had to share how much fun I am having with this calling!

3 comments:

MeiLani and Michael said...

Oh my domestic goddess! WHO KNEW!!!?!?!? So great to hear from you! Congrats on your little one in the future.

Ju said...

Wow Jill, you are so freakin' creative! I bet your girls love you for it too! Those bags are so cute, I'm going to have to give them a whirl! Thanks for the website!!

malibumoons said...

wow! how fun to see your blog and hear from you! old china friend! Congrats on the pregnancy. We have a one year old girl, it is the funnest, and funniest thing to have a baby. You are so lucky! LIfe is so great being a mom. Sounds like you and your hubby are doing great. I too loved working with the YW in my old ward in Ogden UT. I sure do miss it, now I am in the primary presidency. Love the little ones.
We too have a blog, its' www.malibumoons.blogspot.com. check it out if you want and feel free to leave comments, we love to read them. I am glad there are blogs, they make it so simple to stay in touch.
peace out girl,
sarah moon (Huebner)