
What can you get in California and in Yuma, but you don't have to pay California prices to get it? Give up? Earthquakes! Yeah, that's right! Yuma for the last three days has been shakin' and movin' "like a polaroid picture!" Friday night I was sitting in Ty's recliner (he claims it is the best $20 he has ever spent at Goodwill) watching past Lost episodes on the lap top. The recliner pivots and spins on this thin wooden piece that lays stationary on the ground. It was about midnight and I felt a slight vibration coming through the base of the recliner. I stopped, Marley stopped what she was doing, and than all of sudden the windows, walls and doors shook and there was a very loud noise! I jolted right out of that recliner and Marley started barking and than that was it. It stopped. My heart was going a million miles a minute. I rushed into the bedroom and woke up Ty. He thought I was absolutely loony and went back to bed. I looked out the window and saw that porch lights were still on, no car alarms were going off and I could hear a train blowing its horn. I thought, "If that was an earthquake, the trains wouldn't be running." So I chalked it up to maybe someone from the military base decided to test the sonic boom as he flew by. The next morning, sure enough Ty reads that we had an earthquake! Immediately I said, "I have to blog this!" Than this morning, I was eating my cereal, sitting in the recliner again and the chair began to shake...like really shake back and forth and all over the place. I wasn't thinking it was another earthquake because the garbage man was driving by right when it happened and Marley didn't do anything so I thought it was just the vibrations from the truck and actually found the whole "ride" really fun. It was almost like being on a little roller coaster. Next thing I know, my next door neighbor is calling and asking me, "Did you feel the earthquake?" She than tells me that there have actually been three earthquakes this weekend but I apparently missed the second one. I asked Ty if he felt it and he sure did; being in his little job trailer that isn't grounded at all. That made me a little nervous.
I think I should be a little bit more scared than I am, seeing that we are sitting on a fault line (so says my neighbor), but actually I am just excited that I have a cool story to blog about! Nothing like a little earthquake to get things exciting in Yuma. I say this now though, just wait, a big one will hit and I know I will be humming a different tune.
Monday, February 11, 2008
Riddle me this!
Posted by
Jill Manning
at
6:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






6 comments:
oh my gosh Jill, that is crazy! i never thought it was possible anywhere in AZ...shows how much in know! i'm glad it wasnt too serious of one though.
My house growing up is on a fault line. when I learned what a fault line was in the fourth grade I couldn't sleep for like weeks. That is so scary to me, houses are not supposed to shake!
I hope no biggies come your way.
growing up in california, this was a common occurence. But I can tell you it never gets easier...it's always a surprise and pretty scary. Every time we talk about moving back to CA, Heath says, yeah, but there's earthquakes. I suppose now we have to scratch Yuma off the list. :)
That is crazy! But I'm glad you had a cool story to blog about. Now if we just knew the sex of that baby....
A week after arriving in my mission (southern CA), we had a massive earthquake (the LA quakes of '93 if anyone remembers). My canadian comp said, "wow this is so cool." Having grown up in CA, I had to eductate her that her "cool" was someone else's way to meet their maker.
I hate earthquakes. One of the few natural disasters you can't run from (that scene in Superman ruined me forever).
It is something different all right. I remember when I felt the Oakland quake at my house in Mesa. Yeah, it was that strong. I wanted to see how you guys are doing and if Ty is the tallest guy in Yuma? Have him email me sometime so I can give him some of my planning stuff. I have to see how his downtown stuff is going too.
Anyway, a little education for everyone about AZ.
http://www4.nau.edu/geology/aeic/EQ_Fault_maps.html
Its the geography nerd in me.
Post a Comment