Thursday, July 31, 2008

Good Dog Marley!

I have always loved dogs. I have always had a dog. I married Ty hoping that he was a dog person even though had had owned a dog. MY kids will not be afraid of dogs. We will always have a dog in our family. I get made fun of at times because of how much I make our family pets a part of the family. I don't throw them birthday parties or let them eat at the table or anything like that, but I do let them sleep on the bed with me, I do let them sit in my lap if they are small enough to. That is just how it has always been for me ever since I was a little girl and had our Cocker Spaniel, Sam.

Sam was a great dog. He was fat, lazy and just slept a lot but he was sweet and a great dog. I remember when I fell off the trampoline when I was really young and I was crying and screaming as my dad had to pull weeds out of my hair and patch me up. The whole time, Sam was right by me in the bath room and he was crying too, right along with me. I loved Sam for that.
Than Sam passed away and we got Babe. My dad said that the only way he would ever get another dog is if it was Weimeraner (sp?) and so that is what we got and she was so much fun. My mom and I went to together with her to obedient school and I remember trying to get her to go into that place for the first time and she would not budge from the parking lot. Just picture a mom pulling on the leash and the daughter pushing the dog from the back trying to get her to move an inch and she wouldn't budge, she knew something wasn't right. The owners laughed from the window for a little bit and than finally came out and helped us out. Babe was a smart dog, maybe too smart. She would bark at our neighbors mail box that was in the shape of a cat. She would bark at the snow men in our neighbor's yard. She could hear the UPS truck coming from a mile away and goes crazy everytime...she hates the UPS man and the UPS man hates her. But I love that she would sit under the piano and listen to me practice everytime I would sit down to play. Sure sometime she would come and nudge her nose under my hand so that I would quit playing and pet her but that was more reason to love her.

Than Ty finally decided it was time to get a dog and we got Marley. Marley was a great dog from the beginning. She is a rock star wherever she goes...especially at the dog parks and at our next door neighbors house. She may only be 20 lbs and stand only so many inches off the ground but she can out run and out manuever any lab, german shephard and great dane around. I'm not kidding, she knows it too. She will run at full speed and nip the big dogs at the ear to get them to chase her because she knows that they will never be able to catch her. And the big dogs get frustrated and start whimpering when they chase her forever and can't catch up to her. Its hilarious. Well, just last night Marley proved to me once again why I love having a dog in the family. I was having a rough night, maybe it was the hormones, maybe it was from being tired, maybe it was because I have been cooped up in the house for so many days. Whatever it was, I just had to cry it out. I was trying to get Elsie to fall asleep (which she has a hard time doing on her own in the evening time) and she just wouldn't do it without me having to walk around. Well, my incision was killing me all day yesterday, there is one little part that won't scar up. I was walking all day hunched over and limping trying not to disturb it. So when Elsie wants to be walked to sleep it made for a long night. Ty was gone to mutual and so I had no way to get relief. I just sat in a chair and rocked her until she calmed down. I started to cry because I didn't know what else to do and in comes Marley. She sat down right in front of me and looked at me very curiously. Than she jumped into my lap and laid perfectly still until I stopped crying. When I stopped, she looked up at me, checked to make sure everything was okay and than jumped off. It was the craziest thing, but I love her for it! Like I said, she is a great dog.

6 comments:

Angela said...

that is a cute story. Dogs are good!

Dawnelle Anderson said...

I remember Sam and Babe. They were so fun to play with. That is a cute picture with marley, ty, and elsie. I love dogs and that would probably be the first pet I get, but I don't think I could handle one right now, so we will have to wait until the kids get older and can take care of it

Alison said...

You just about convinced me to get a dog... just about...

If I could train a dog to fold laundry, I would go get a dog today.

michelle manning said...

Oh Jill, that was the sweetest post ever! I feel exactly the same way! -michelle

Anonymous said...

It was hard to read this post because I wanted to help you out soooooo badly!! I will call you. Your comments about dogs and Marley was great. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I forgot to look at Elsie with Ty and Marley on the bed. Then I realized.......hey, wait a minute, that's our little princess in that photo and then I got all excited and starred at her and not Marley. MOM

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.