Monday, June 11, 2007

My Internship


So today was the first official day of my internship. The last week was spent in training but today we actually met the kids and it was a blast! To sum it up, I tutoring at the South Mountain Salvation Army with 8 other tutors from ASU. We are going to be with the kids for 3 hours each day and actually tutoring them in math, writing and reading for about an hour of that time. THe rest is spent doing group projects and group activities. I was supposed to be with three kids in the third grade but it turns out that only about 15% of the kids signed up showed up today, therefore, those who did not show up were dropped from the program but no fear, there is a huge waiting list so those kids will be replaced. But because the kids did not show up, I have one little girl in the first grade named Deseri! She is hilarious and we had a blast playing BINGO and decorating journals and name tags. After today I have decided that there will be no problem coming up with a quote of the day from these kids because they are too funny. For example, I was talking to Deseri trying to get to know her better and she said, "I like to fight!" "Really, doesn't fighting hurt?" "No, it doesn't hurt me. I can lay the smack down. Like I watch on T.V." "I don't thinking fighting is such a good idea, it could hurt." "No, it never hurts me. Except with my brother hits me really hard and than I cry." This girl is 6 years old talking about laying the smack down. I had to laugh, maybe it wasn't the most appropriate reaction but it was just too funny. Than as we were drawing pictures, I was eavesdropping on another tutor and his conversation with a student and I only caught a small gist of it but I heard the tutor say, "Well...no...I have never been to jail. But I hope you never go to jail." My supervisor and I both heard it and we just started laughing again, who has these kind of conversations with little kids? So as you can tell, we are in the heart of the ghetto...which if anyone knows me, knows I think that rocks! But the really cool thing is, is this center has beeen around forever and the Suns used to practice there back when they were first established. Now they have donated the flooring for the basketball gym which is the same flooring they used to play on. And this week, they are having free basketball camps there and the Suns come and hold the camp. I didn't get to see anyone, I tried looking but not look like I was looking, but I couldn't see anyone. I really want to catch a glimps of Nash:) There are about four huge gangs in the area but because of the center, the gangs have really subsided and left the surrounding neighborhoods alone. I'm so excited for this tutoring thing and to be able to work with these kids! I will be sure to remember the classic quotes from the kids and share them daily!

1 comment:

michelle manning said...

Jill that sounds so awesome! I'm so glad you like to help people and find such great ways to do it. Have fun with those cute kids!