Saturday, June 30, 2007

Why I Love Tutoring!


I have to tell you all about tutoring on Thursday. I now have two kids that I tutor, Johnny and Yulissa. They are some of the greatest kids and are a blast to tutor. They are both 11 years old and they let me act like such a goof. Yulissa started the program a little late and her first few days she wouldn't really talk and she would always say how she wouldn't be coming back the next day and how she hated being at the center. I just kept trying to make it fun and giving her encouragement. On Thursday, I walked into the center and she ran right up to me and gave me a huge hug and said, "Jill I missed you so much!" It completely and totally melted my heart. We were told from the very beginning that we are not allowed to hug the kids and avoid getting hugs from them. This happened right in front of all the Salvation Army staff and we were all laughing because of how sweet it was and I just held my hands up above her and said, "You are so sweet! Let's keep walking, lets keep walking!" She wouldn't let go so I was pretty much dragging her across the room. It was hilarious! Than the three of us were working on a project and I was helping Yulissa and she was kind of bossing me around, I didn't really notice, but Johnny said, "Yulissa, quite bossing Jill around. Do you know how much she does for us by being here as a tutor? You need to be nicer to her." I was shocked! I told Johny how much I appreciated that and what a sweetheart he was for sticking up for me. Yulissa apoligized and started saying "please" and "thank you." We were supposed to be making boats out of construction paper and tooth picks and we ended up making mustaches and taping them to our faces. Sure we got a little off course but we had fun and laughed alot. i wish I had my camera, they are not allowed, so that you can see the kids and see our mustaches!

No comments: