Monday, October 15, 2007

"Second Star to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

Ask anyone who knows me, I love Peter Pan. It has to be one of my all time favorite Disney movies and the book is on my Top Ten favorite books. I actually just got done reading the book for the hundreth time and I just can't get enough of it.

J.M. Barrie just had a great way of knowing how imaginative a child can be and making a great story that makes even adults close their eyes and try to picture Neverland. The first time I read the book and finished and thought, "There are so many great quotes in this book, I need to try to remember them." And so the second time I read it with my pen and underlined all my favorite lines." I just wanted to share with you some of my favorite lines and more classic quotes from the book!
"Wendy,' he continued in a voice that no woman has ever yet been able to resist, 'Wendy, one girl is more use than twenty boys.' Now Wendy was every inch a woman, though there was not very many inches, and she peeped out of the bedclothes."
"You see, Wendy, when the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
"He (Capt. Hook) sat down on a large mushroom, and now there was a quiver in his voice. 'Smee,' he said huskily, 'that crocodile would have had me before this, but by a lucky chance it swallowed a clock which goes tick tick inside it, and so before it can reach me I hear the tick and bolt.' He laughed, but in a hollow way. 'Someday,' said Smee, 'the clock will run down, and then he'll get you.' Hook wetted his dry lips. 'Aye,' he said, 'that's the fear that haunts me."

"To die will be an awfully big adventure."
"Should we take the brush with the redskins at Slightly Gulch? It was...especially interesting as showing one of Peter's peculiarities, which was that in the middle of a fight he would suddenly change sides. At the Gulch, when victory was still in the balance, sometimes leaning this way and sometimes that, he called out, 'I'm redskin today; what are you Tootles?' And Tootles answered, 'Redskin; what are you, Nibs?' and Nibs said, 'Redskin; what are you Twin?' and so on; and they were all redskin; and of course this would have ended the fight had not the real redskins, fascinated by Peter's methods, agreed to be lost boys for that once, and so at it they all went again, more fiercely than ever."

"He did this because there was a saying in Neverland that every time you breathe, a grown-up dies; and Peter was killing them off vindictively as fast as possible."
"Pan, who and what art thou?" he (Capt. Hook) cried huskily. "I'm youth, I'm joy!"

These are just a few. If you are looking for a good, quick book to read and want to be a child again, I recommend this book. There is a part in the book where Barrie describes how children see Neverland and if we as readers close I eyes tight enough we can see it also. I got so wrapped up in reading the story that I actually closed my eyes real tight and tried to picture the Mermaid Lagoon and the redskins chasing the pirates while the pirates chased the Lost Boys. And the part where Tinker Bell (did you know she got her name because he parents her pot and pan makers?) drinks the poison to safe Peter, and Peter summons all the little sleeping children around the world to clap their hands if they believed in fairies so that they could safe Tink's life, I wanted to clap really loud. I didn't because Ty already thinks I am a little nutso about Peter Pan. Its nice to feel like a kid every once in while, you know?

3 comments:

Angela said...

Jill, you need to go on the peter pan ride at disneyland.. you will love it You and Hannah can love him and tinkerbell together. This is her new favorite right now. I just found the quote about fairies the other day.. I love that one.

The Blakes said...

I love that you're so into this story! I just bought the DVD this summer so I would have more boyish classics for Ty to watch. Last week I bought Jungle Book. I'm totally getting into Disney movies again and I love it!

Maren said...

I will have to reread it. It has always been one of my favorite movies from Disney - alsways a classic.